Celebrating 10 years of the Institute for the Study of "Race" and Social Justice
When: Thu, Sep 13 2018 12:00pm - Thu, Sep 13 2018 1:00pm
Where: SSCO 1061
TOPIC: REFLECTING ON TEN YEARS OF THE INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF "RACE" AND SOCIAL JUSTICE @ UNM - HIGHLIGHTS BELOW
*COME AND SHARE YOUR VISION FOR 2019*
*EVERYONE IS WELCOME* STUDENTS, FACULTY, STAFF, COMMUNITY*
For more info: See our agenda below and visit the Institute website: race.unm.edu
Thurs. 9/13/18, 12-1pm, SSCO 1061 (Sociology Commons, Social Sciences Bldg., UNM Main Campus Bldg.# 78)
A special thank you to Dr. Lawrence Roybal, Interim VP Division of Equity and Inclusion and Lorena Blanco, Diversity Program Director, Division of Equity for providing pizza. Pizza will be available starting at 11:45 am.
Bring your own beverage.
1. Approve Agenda; Welcome; Introductions and Sign in.
2. Updates: Race and Social Science Interdicisciplinary Grad Certificate (15-credit; 5 classes/4 different disciplines) now open to anyone with BA or above including both current and non-enrolled students; more info race.unm.edu; Resubmitting Form C for creating undergrad version of interdisciplinary race and social justice certificate (12 credit; 4 classes/3 different disciplines)
Conversation: Reflecting on the Ten Year Anniversary of The Institute for the Study of "Race" & Social Justice established in January 2009: What are your visions for interdisciplinary and intersectoral race and social justice scholarship, teaching and community engagement at UNM, NM, and beyond for the next 5 years? next 10 years? If funding were not a concern, what would that look like? How would you know that we have been successful in 2019? Please send 3-4 ideas on your vision for interdisciplinary scholarship, teaching and community engagement that could serve as priority impactful and transformative action items for the next ten years of the Institute via email to Dr. Nancy López (firstname.lastname@example.org). It would be most helpful if you send these ideas by 9/10 so we can prepare a working document for discussion at the meeting. We appreciate your ideas even if you cannot make it. Please include the following in the Subject Line: "Race & Social Justice@UNM 2019". Note: The Institute has no dedicated staff, operating or programing funds. We exist as a labor of love visible through all the partnerships and volunteers that have generously contributed to our mission over the years. Our hope is to produce a brief report for sharing with UNM administration so we can support the sustainability, collective work and impact of the work of the Institute as the mark of a twenty first century innovative, relevant and impactful university. To make a tax deductible donation to the Institute please visit: https://www.unmfund.org/fund/institute-for-the-study-of-race-and-social-justice/
3. Next Meeting: Thurs. Nov. 8th, 12-1pm (SSCO 1061); Topic: TBA, Suggestions welcome. Possibilities include: Researching Race and Social Justice in NM; Cultivating Race and Social Justice & Policy in New Mexico Legislature-Money is Policy; Planning Spring 2019 Institute Anniversary Celebration: Format, Potential Speakers; Other suggestions? Note: We will not have a meeting in October due to Fall Break
4. Other items? Sign up for our listerve at race.unm.edu, under "Connect Now"; Establishing an Affiliated Faculty Peer Mentoring Program as well as Peer Mentoring Grad Student and Undergrads interested in pursuing the certificate; Ideas for Website? New Business?
5. Conferences/Events/Other Announcements. Please email email@example.com if you would like to post your race and social justice event at race.unm.edu. Thank you!